Type of Bulletin:
Assisting Other Agency (Columbia PD) - Attempted Robbery / Robbery (No weapon used)
Date and Time:
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 between 1:35 and 1:55 PM
700 Block Catawba St, Columbia SC / 112 Silo Ct. Columbia, SC
Crime Bulletin with social media notification and web page posting only.
An emergency notification was not issued because there was no immediate (on going) danger to the community.
Numerous patrol and unmarked officers immediately responded to the area and confirmed the suspect had fled the area away from campus.
A second incident occurred further off campus near Bluff Rd (past Williams-Brice Stadium).
Black male, approximately 5'9", between 25 and 35 years of age
At approximately 1:35 PM on 9/23/2014, the suspect walked up to a female sitting in her car and threatened bodily harm and demanded money. This incident occurred on the 700 block of Catawba St. The suspect then fled away from the area. Approximately 15 minutes later an individual matching the same description threatened another victim before taking her purse. This incident occurred at Stadium Suites Apartments near Williams-Brice Stadium. It is unknown at this time if these two incidents are related. Officers from the University of South Carolina Police Department and City of Columbia Police Department patrolled the area but were unable to locate the suspect. The victims in this case sustained no injuries.
The subject is described as wearing a dark long sleeve shirt, dark pants and a black "doo-rag" on his head.
The case is being investigated by the City of Columbia Police Department.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus such as the Evening Shuttle, Late Night Shuttle, APO, and others. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
Posted Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:50:45 GMT
To view Crime Alerts prior to 3/15/2012, please visit our old Crime Alerts page.