About the program
This initiative is intended to assist full-time (FTE) professional, tenure-track or tenured faculty members in the College of Arts & Sciences at the Columbia campus with funding of up to $1,500 to give one presentation at a conference, symposium, or workshop per year (initiative call).
September 15, 2023
Application deadline for travel from October 13, 2023 through January 26, 2024.
January 12, 2024
Application deadline for travel from January 26, 2024 through April 19, 2024.
March 15, 2024
Application deadline for travel from April 19, 2024 through October 15, 2024.
Chairing a panel, organizing a session, or simply attending a conference, symposium, or workshop will not be supported. Registration for virtual conferences can be covered by this initiative.
Funding will be provided in the form of reimbursement; requests for reimbursement must be made within 30 days of the expense(s) being incurred. Faculty members may apply for funding in anticipation of conference, symposium, or workshop participation during the initiative call period. If the application is approved for funding, faculty members will only be reimbursed with proper documentation proving participation in the meeting (scanned copy or picture of program with your name listed as presenting).
There will be three 2023-2024 application deadlines for this initiative:
- September 15, 2023: Application deadline for travel from October 13, 2023 through January 26, 2024.
- January 12, 2024: Application deadline for travel from January 26, 2024 through April 19, 2024.
- March 15, 2024: Application deadline for travel from April 19, 2024 through October 15, 2024.
The application materials should be submitted via the online application at the bottom of this page. All attachments should use 12-point font size and 1-inch margins and be submitted in 8.5" x 11" PDF format unless otherwise noted in the instructions.
- Applicants must submit a current vita (4-page maximum) along with a brief proposal (1-page maximum) specifying the dates and destination of the planned travel and justifying the importance of participation in the event to the applicant’s research.
- Applications must also identify all current and pending support (including startup and retention funds), along with an explanation of how requested funds are needed/different from current and pending funding. Potential overlapping funding will be taken into consideration when reviewing applications.
- The applicant must also include an itemized budget with justification indicating the
estimated cost of travel. Please see this example budget and justification for guidance. Please also see the attached Excel template for the
itemized budget upload: budget template.
- Applicants must also include a copy of the official notification of acceptance from the conference or workshop organizers. If applying prospectively for funding for anticipated travel, applicants must submit official notification and provide a copy of pages from the conference program indicating their participation as part of the reimbursement process.
Department Head Statement of Support
The applicant's department chair must also submit a brief statement of support (1-page maximum). All units are expected to provide an equivalent funding match of up to $1200 of the college travel award. These funds can be applied to currently requested travel or for future travel of the faculty member during the fiscal year. For example, if a faculty member applies for $1500 in travel, the unit could split the cost of the travel with the College ($750 each) or provide $1200 towards future travel, with the College paying $1500 toward the current travel request. Note that splitting current travel costs between the unit and the College is most useful when a travel award request exceeds $1500.