About the program
The College of Arts and Sciences is pleased to announce the Undergraduate Research Enhancement Program (UREP) to promote undergraduate research. The awards of up to $1000 are intended to enhance the number of undergraduates involved in research and scholarly activities.
The Undergraduate Research Enhancement Program (UREP) provides funding to support undergraduate students in conducting research, scholarship, and creative activities in collaboration with a faculty sponsor. Eligible students must be pursuing a major in the College of Arts and Sciences, enrolled in a minimum of a 3-credit hour independent study for undergraduate research with a CAS course designation, in good academic standing with the university, and working under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Faculty mentors must be full-time faculty Columbia Campus with the College of Arts and Sciences and may only receive one UREP award per academic year. The maximum award amount is $1000, which can be used towards student salary or necessary supplies as determined by the mentor and department. Award recipients are expected to present their research at Discover USC and submit a final report of their research results to email@example.com by the end of the grant term.
For Spring semester courses The deadline to submit an application for Spring 2024 is Friday, December 1, 2023.
Summer and Fall courses The deadline to submit an application for Summer/Fall 2024 is Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
The Undergraduate Research Enhancement Program (UREP)
- Up to $1000 per recipient towards salary, materials, and supplies
- For projects in collaboration with a faculty sponsor
- Funds research, scholarship, and creative activities
You must be:
- Pursuing an undergraduate major in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- Enrolled in a minimum of a 3-credit hour independent study for undergraduate research with a CAS course designation
- In good academic standing with the university
- Working under the guidance of a faculty sponsor
Faculty Mentor Eligibility
- Mentors must be full-time faculty (tenured, tenure-track, or professional-track) at the University of South Carolina.
- Only one UREP award per academic year per mentor
Application materials should be submitted as attachments in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download and complete the Program Application Form.
Includes sections for Project Overview, Research Compliance and Budget.
NOTE: If you applied for but did not receive the Magellan Scholar Award, you may forward the proposal in lieu of the Program Application form. However, you must clarify your budget needs (also note that the maximum budget for UREP is $1000).
- Include a one-page letter (on their home department letterhead) from your faculty sponsor that details your role in the research project and their mentoring plan for your research
NOTE: A completed and signed independent study contract is required for consideration. This must be a CAS designated 3-credit independent study.
Email application materials as ONE attachment to email@example.com.
Allowable costs for UREP award
- All expenditures must be in compliance with federal and state laws as well as university policies and procedures.
- The maximum amount you can request is $1000.
- Work with your mentor and department to determine what is needed to complete your project.
- Funds can be used for student salary (at $10/hour (min) to $15/hour (max) +0.45% fringe - see fringe benefits) or necessary supplies (taking note of unallowed costs below).
Costs not allowed for UREP award
- Computer (includes laptop, desktop, etc.)
- Travel not related to field work, including attending a meeting and meeting registration fees
- Books that can be found through the USC library or via interlibrary loan
- Senior thesis printing costs
- Any item that does not have a receipt
Please contact the CAS Office of the Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the program or the application process.