2022 Fall Conference – October 13
Reenergize you and your staff for the new school year. At the conference, you will meet other student journalists and advisers from across the state. You will also form bonds with those who share your concerns, encounter similar issues within the unique environment of a journalism classroom, and learn new skills. Register for the fall conference and conference competitions today. Plan your field trip with this conference information sheet (pdf).
2020 Fall conference awards
We went virtual for the fall conference and so did the awards ceremony. You can view the ceremony on our YouTube channel and see who won our first ever conference competition awards as well! You can find a full list of winners online.
CJI 2018 team projects
Check out the projects from the 2018 CJI teams. Each team produced multimedia packages about different topics, ranging from local coffee shops to the SC State Museum to WREN: Women's Rights and Empowerment Network.
- 2019 Spring Conference Awards – broadcast/newsprint/online
- 2018 Fall ESNA and online individual competition awards
- 2018 Fall Conference Awards – literary magazine/yearbook
- 2018 Spring Conference Awards – broadcast/newspaper/online
- 2017 Fall ESNA and online individual competition awards
- 2017 Fall Conference Awards – literary magazine/yearbook
- 2017 Spring Conference Awards – broadcast/newspaper/online
- 2016 Fall ESNA and online individual competition awards
- 2016 Fall Conference Awards – literary magazine/yearbook
- 2016 Spring Conference Awards – broadcast/newspaper/online
- 2015 Fall ESNA and online individual competition awards
- 2015 Fall Conference Awards – literary magazine/yearbook
SCSPA holds two conferences a year - one in the fall, October 26-27, 2020, and one in the spring, April 2021.
Instructors include both local and nationally recognized advisers and professionals. Sessions range from basic to advanced to trends.
Magazine and yearbook evaluation and individual awards, as well as the Bruce E. Konkle Rising Star Award, are presented in the fall. Newspaper, online and broadcast evaluation and individual awards, as well as the Journalist of the Year, the SCSPA and Yearbook scholarships, the Reid H. Montgomery Adviser of the Year and the Scroggins Award are presented during the spring conference.
Carolina Journalism Institute
2021 CJI Fees
Dates: June TBD
On-campus lodging: $125 (two-person room)
Commuter: $25 parking fee or $0 (not parking on campus)
Let our national award-winning faculty prepare you for the your school year. You will leave the Carolina Journalism Institute with an online project and multimedia skills ready to implement next fall.
Each June, SIPA hosts the Carolina Journalism Institute for high school journalism students and advisers at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. Sessions and activities are held in the new state-of-the-art facilities of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
See you in June!