All students are required to have daily access, preferably at home, to the Internet and to a computer which can be used at any time, controlled and configured as required for assignments, access to resources, and for communication.
Internet connectivity through work or other computers that are not under the student's personal control frequently present problems. Firewalls, software download policies, and other security precautions can make access to required software (e.g., the University's course management system Blackboard, Adobe Connect), access to library and other online resources, software downloads, and communication required for course participation, impossible. This is often the case in school settings.
The following information is subject to review and change without notice.
iSchool Computer Requirements
Core courses can be completed using either a Windows or Apple (Mac) computer. Some electives may require the use of a Windows platform software for specific assignments and projects. When an elective requires the use of a Windows platform software, it should be made clear in advance through the course syllabus. Consult your instructor at the beginning of the semester to see if any special software is required for your class.
Minimum Recommended System configuration for Desktops or Laptops:
- 8 GB RAM (16 GB preferred) for macOS™ Mojave (v. 10.14.6).
- 8 GB RAM (16 GB preferred) for Windows 10™.
Additional Hardware Requirements
- Access to a scanner
- Access to a DVD player
- Access to microphone and webcam
- Some elective courses may require access to additional specific hardware.
- Web Browsers: macOS™ - Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.
- Web Browsers: Windows™ - Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox.
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for free to all students. Students have access to the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and much more. You can install Office 365 on up to five compatible devices, including five tablets devices. All work can be saved online in OneDrive so it can be accessed no matter which device is being used. You can use this Office 365 subscription for as long as you are a student at the University of South Carolina. Download Office 365»
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 11 or DC.
- Other software may be required by certain elective courses and should be included in course syllabi.
- Virus software is strongly recommended for all computers that connect to the UofSC wi-fi service on campus.
Internet And Email Requirements
- You will need daily access to an internet email account, preferably through a high-speed connection. It is important to use your University-issued email address as iSchool instructors and the University use UofSC email accounts to communicate with students and through Blackboard.
- Broadband access may be necessary for viewing and or participating in some classes; check your syllabus.
- Students are responsible for configuring their email programs for the proper submission of assignments and class communication.
- Get assistance »